If you have questions for VGF, we will be happy to answer them.

For every question, there is an appropriate answer.

Which office is responsible for me, VGF Munich or VGF Berlin?

VGF Munich exploits German film productions, while VGF Berlin exploits foreign film productions exclusively.

How can I register a film?

As a person entitled to receive royalties with VGF, you can register German films with us at any time by using our work registration form (pdf). For foreign films, please use the foreign work registration form (pdf). Directors can register films without using the forms, by simply sending us an e-mail to include the following information: • Title; episode titles and sequence, in the case of series • Type of work (feature film, documentary, series etc.) • Details of cinema release • Type of production (independent, broadcasting company or commissioned production) • Production firm • Producing country, year of production and duration in minutes • Director’s entitlement in % in the case of shared directorship.

How can I register broadcasting dates for German films?

In principle you can only notify us of the broadcasting dates of films already registered with us. We collect information about the broadcasting dates of other films in an annual registration campaign, of which you will be informed automatically. We conduct research to determine the broadcasting dates of feature films.

How can I register broadcasting dates for foreign films?

In principle VGF Berlin researches all the broadcasting dates of foreign film productions for the broadcasting company entitled to payment. All the same we would request you to let us know the broadcasting date of your film by sending us an informal note.

What are the types of film work recognised by VGF?

VGF subdivides German films into two categories:

• German feature films (German film works lasting 75 minutes or more that are released for showing in German cinemas)
• Other German film works (these cannot be commissioned television productions, but can be co-productions with television)

In the case of foreign film works we distinguish between the following:

• US productions
• European cinema films (i.e. film works produced or co-produced in a country of the EU outside Germany and shown in German cinemas)
•Other foreign film works
•German-language synchronized versions are subject to the same criteria.